Welcome to Athience

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

- - - - -

Should I tell my parents?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alexfi

alexfi

Plebeian

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 15:52 PM

So I just realized that I'm an Atheist. Its like, a huge minority at my school and town, everyone believes, and goes to church, and youth groups... We don't go to church, but my family believes in God. My uncle works in a church! Even my girlfriend and her best friend go to church. There's tons of peer pressure and being an atheist is almost frowned on at my school. I have nothing against religion, its a good place for some people to turn in a time of need or stress. I have no clue weather to tell my family or to let them just figure it out.
What should I do?

Thanks!

#2 Long Nails

Long Nails

Plebeian

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 21:51 PM

Hi alexfi,

Ask yourself: what would your family do if they knew? Would you get kicked out, or would they just treat you differently for a while? You know them best.

If it is bothering you to keep it bottled up, then perhaps drop some hints; throw some criticisms at church, god, religion etc. and see what happens. You can even disguise your opinion by saying "I read this in 'so and so'" and you can observe their reactions.

How did you come to realise that you're an atheist if you don't mind me asking? :)

Best wishes
Blasphemy: the act of questioning the sanity of your boss in his determination to wipe out the competition.
Click me

#3 Pastafaris

Pastafaris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA (near Washington, DC)

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

Alexfi,

I never told my parents, but if the had found out I think the worse that would have happened would have been disappointment from my mom.  My dad could have cared less; he was in that category of who knows, who cares.  But my mom's life centered around the church so she might have been crushed.  Me being the sort of person that doesn't like to hurt other people's feelings, I just kept quiet about it until after she passes away.  Which raises another question for me: should you hide your beliefs just to avoid hurting other people?  I guess the same question could apply to coming out of any closet.
Humanity without religion is like a serial killer without a chainsaw.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users