Welcome to Athience

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

- - - - -

Les Miserable: the movie

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Pastafaris

Pastafaris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA (near Washington, DC)

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:40 AM

I saw the musical Les Mis in London and came away convinced like many thousands more that this was one of the all-time truly great stage productions in history. I was very concerned about the conversion to the big screen because few actors can sing like their Broadway counterparts. But I was not disappointed, not in the least.

While Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway, and Amanda Seyfried could not match the operatic training of the stage cast, they did a truly wonderful job. Despite knowing the story very well, (I know most of the lyrics) I was moved to tears on numerous occasions, and sobs on some of the most moving scenes.

Anybody not moved by some of the scenes simply does not have a heart. I will be seeing this again and will be buying the DVD and the soundtrack. The story is a bit complex, and it wouldn't hurt to read the synopsis of the Broadway show in advance to understand the relationships between Valjean, Javert, Fontine, Eponine, Cossette, Marius and the others. At heart the movie is a love story surrounded by a story of redemption and both are incredibly moving stories, and all within the backdrop of the French Revolution.,

if you allow yourself to immerse yourself into the movie. (Skip the book, it's incredibly long and hard to read.) I've yet to see 'Lincoln' but I think it will be hard pressed to match Les Mis for gut-wrenching emotions. You will laugh, cry, and cheer when seeing Les Mis. Do yourself a huge favor and put Les Mis on your ToDo list.
Humanity without religion is like a serial killer without a chainsaw.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users